Monday, February 17, 2014

Baskets galore

blocks 1 through 4 of Baskets Galore BOM
I don't have a very good history with keeping up with online BOM projects, but maybe I've turned a corner and will do better this year.    Wendy at Legend and Lace has been offering free basket patterns for several months, and I'm playing catch up on the seven she's posted so far.

Four done so far.   They were more challenging than I expected, but I'm satisfied with the results, though they're by no means perfect.
I had to read between the lines a few places in the instructions, and there are a lot of 1/16" measurements involved, but overall my little baskets will do.  

I'm proudest of #3, the Cactus Basket.   My "Y" seams are flat and not puckered.   Owe that to dumb luck--I'm usually not that precise.  

#1 -- Tea Basket
My favorite fabric color combo is in #4, Grandmother's Basket.  
As these are only 8" finished, either I'll end up with a small quilt, or I'll make other blocks to add to these baskets.  My favorite one to make so far was #4, so that's a contender to duplicate in other colors.    But with more baskets to come, I'm sure I'll find others I'd like to replicate over and over. 

#2 -- Betty's Basket
Our day started with ugly weather, schools cancelled, meetings postponed, and white-out driving conditions.  But now it's up to 35 degrees, snow on roadways has melted, and it's almost pleasant outside. 
#3 -- Cactus Basket
Stupid winter !!   We're ready for spring.
#4 -- Grandmother's Basket

13 comments:

Kindred Quilts said...

Your baskets are lovely Vivian! It's good to push ourselves out of our comfort zones every once in awhile! Y seams would definitely push me out of mine, so congrats on that achievement!!! I like the fabric combos in ALL of them!
It has been a strange winter here in Iowa...

AnnieO said...

Love your fabric combos! CW prints are still my faves to play with :)

Excellent baskets you're playing with.

Our winter has hopped and skipped over us mostly. Still no rain to speak of in SoCalif and very little in NorCal. Bad news for farmers ranchers and folks who like to pay low prices for food!

Lori said...

Nice job! They are a little tricky, but that makes them fun.

Gayle said...

This is going to be such a fun quilt when it's done. Love all those baskets!

audrey said...

Love these! You did great!

Janet O. said...

When Lori posted about these baskets she mentioned something about how they weren't always easy. When I read that I ran in the other direction. I applaud your courage in taking on the challenge. My Y-seams never work out well.
I think you have some really nice fabric combos in each block.

Jayne Honnold said...

Great job! I especially love #4-Grandmother's Basket. Those colors are so striking! Love, love, love it!

Julia said...

Love the baskets, and the CW fabrics....some I have.
I would have loved to do them, but need a few finishes first.
Julia ♥

Cathy said...

I love your basket blocks. I only have the Tea Basket done. You've inspired me to do a couple more. Hugs

Marei said...

Really like the way your little baskets are coming out. The fabric combo in Tea Basket has really caught my eye. It's so ethereal looking....just lovely.

Diane said...

The baskets are lovely but the Mardi Gras beads and quilt at the top really caught my eye. I grew up in south Louisiana and really miss the annual Mardi Gras celebrations. Thanks for sharing them and bringing back some good memories.

Karen said...

I see Mardi gras colors in your header , how colorful. How many more baskets?

Barb said...

Really Nice! Your fabric combinations are great. Its good to challenge ourselves - they turned out really nicely

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails