Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Finishing some unwanteds

Time After Time -- finished size 68 x 78"
Last year our younger daughter made "Time After Time," a pattern by A Quilter's Dream.   It's available various places, including here on E-Quilter.    She "went shopping" for her fabric in my stash.  The final quilt top is very pretty in the browns, lavenders, and orchids she chose. 

DD2 decided not to keep it and gave it to me to finish as a share quilt.   I added borders and have been quilting it today.  Hopefully I'll have it done in time for guild tomorrow night.  We received a request for bed-sized quilts for a nearby nursing home, and this quilt can be one of those. 

Our guild had a "garage sale" at last month's meeting, and a lot of quilting items went from one quilter's home to a different one.  The prices were too tempting.  Many new-to-me things followed me home.

Stack-n-Whack quilt--48" x 56"
Two quilt tops offered for sale only needed backing and binding and quilting.  Now that they're done, they'll be taken to guild tomorrow and turned in as share quilts.  One was this feathered fan quilt made using the Stack-n-Whack process by Bethany Reynolds.  For the backing and binding, I used a Windham fabric from the Buffalo Bill Collection. The stars in circles just seemed to go well with the feathers.
close-up view of the feather fans


This lavender and green quilt is made from soft flannel.  I don't have many pretty flannels in my stash, and my friend Chris kindly gave me some green and purple flannel for the backing.

flannel quilt -- 49" x 62"
Note to self:  Always cut flannel binding wider.   I had a struggle with this one, as I had limited fabric to work with.   I made do with what I had, but working with a wider binding would have been easier.

sampler quilt finishes at 38 x 50"
The sampler 4-block quilt will be another lap quilt for a nursing home after it's quilted and bound.   At the guild garage sale, I found a bag with the 4 completed blocks and pre-cut sashing.  I added strips and squares from my stash to enlarge it. The focus fabric is one of my favorites, multi-colored gingko leaves by Kona Bay.   There are a couple yards of it in my stash.  I recognized it as soon as I opened the bag.
Fancy Nancy, AKA Maddie



This is how our granddaughter Maddie went to school one day last week.  She dressed as a favorite storybook character.  Until last week, I didn't know who this was, but now I know about Fancy Nancy.  

Fancy Nancy likes headbands, boas, tutus, and everything fancy.  Maddie chose her because she likes that Nancy uses fancy words.  She even likes French.  Oo-lah-lah !!   



6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Your daughter's quilt top is beautiful! She didn't want it? Why not?
That is a pretty fan top you picked up. Now wait a minute! Every quilt shown here is being donated somewhere. Weren't you the woman who had "plans"? What happened to them? : )

Marei said...

Fancy Nancy rocks! And your Maddie makes one great Nancy. I love buying those books for my granddaughters. You're putting me to shame, Vivian, with all your lovely work. I haven't gotten a single quilt quilted this past month. I did get 24 all basted and ready to go..so I'd better get busy.

Kyle said...

Your guild and you specifically, are very generous with your time, materials, and talent. I know many will appreciate the quilts you share.

Lesley said...

You have some super projects here. Sounds like a wonderful group you belong to, and so great that you have been able to finish so many quilts. Well done!

AnnieO said...

Wow, pretty pretty quilts on the blog today! I love those stack and whack fans. The attitude your granddaughter is displaying is so runway model :) Too cute! I've never heard of Fancy Nancy, but now that I've got a grandson, I'll surely be learning all about the popular books of his time.

Lori said...

Nice quilts, but super cute Fancy Nancy!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails