Saturday, March 22, 2014

Road trip

purchases this week
Until this week, I hadn't set foot in a quilt shop for about two years.  There is no quilt shop in our city of 30,000, and I really don't need anything, so a trip to a quilt shop isn't at the top of my to-do list.    I buy things online now and then, and we have a JoAnn's.  I shopped at the AQS show in Des Moines last fall, and speakers at our guild entice me to buy some of their products.

So I'm not starved for the joy of purchasing quilting supplies.  I do my share.  Just not for a while in a brick-and-mortar quilt shop. 

my newest C. War repro fabrics
A road trip with friends on Thursday was joyful, adventuresome, and very satisfying.   We drove from 3 towns through early morning, dense fog and met at Stitches in Charles City -- a charming store with a little bit of everything, including yarn.  No rush, no need to speed.  Though we drove past an accident with 3 damaged vehicles, our trip was safe.

Ahh -- the satisfaction of being in a quilt store after a lengthy hiatus.  I even enjoy the unique bathrooms in quilt shops.  (Sorry if that sounds weird.  Hopefully I'm not the only one who enjoys the wallhangings, posters, and quilt-related decor.)

A 6-store shop hop is in session this weekend in northern Iowa, but we went to just two quilt shops and one non-participating fabric store.  First Charles City, then to Quilter's Window in New Hampton.  Lots of eye candy there, a variety of fabrics, plenty of samples.  By the time we left a fabric store and went for a late lunch, we had bright sunshine and our credit and debit cards had been well exercised.

Isn't it interesting how well we learn to know each other?  We pointed out bright fabric that Chris might like.  A book with small-scale projects was shown to Becci.   Was Pat interested in the newest line of French General?   Someone held up a book that "looked like" me.  (very accurate--I already own a copy)  Our close quilting friends know which fabrics and projects we like and love.  I've never had such good friends.  They make me smile and laugh.  They can warm my heart, and their understanding can bring me to tears.  Their importance in my life increases every year, and I look forward to our times together. 

Buying a few more CWar repro fabrics is always on my agenda.  I couldn't resist a new door dressing pattern by Joined at the Hip, and Carol Hopkins's newest book, Civil War Legacies II, has now joined my library.   Store samples always grab my attention.   "Be Merry" is a 6-month BOM from Bits 'n Pieces that was offered at the Quilter's Window.    

Enough shopping.   I have basket blocks to stitch and quilt tops that need quilting.  The sunshine makes a walk sound tempting, but we're only in the mid 20's, and low teens are forecast over the next 36 hours.  I'll wait for a warmer day.  

11 comments:

Janet O. said...

I'm glad you had such a good time, Vivian--sounds absolutely delightful! How nice to have friends with whom you can be that comfortable. Two years is a long time away from a quilt shop!
DH took me to a quilt shop 1 1/2 hours from here when we went to visit his aunt at a care center in the same town. I have only been there once before (it isn't on the way to anywhere else we go), and I loved it, so it was good to get back. Though we have 4 quilt shops in my valley, Bright and Modern definitely rule! I hunger for a good selection of CW fabrics, so when I get away to a store that offers them, I spend my entire month's budget.
Are you referring to the book CIvil War Legacies II? That is at the top of my wish list! : )

Kindred Quilts said...

Your description of quilting friends hits the mark Vivian! It makes me think of my closest quilting buddies... we are both lucky to be among such warm and wonderful friends!
I haven't been to either of the Iowa shops you mentioned... looks like I need to plan a road trip as well! Your purchases are to be envied... especially the CW fabrics!

Julia said...

Sounds like that outing was just what you needed. Quilting friends are the best, they KNOW you, and are there for support when needed the most.
Shopping with like minded friends is so much fun.
Love the fabrics, I have a couple of those there, and that book may be a must for me too.
Julia ♥

Shirley said...

I shall look forward to seeing you use up those treasures you took home. Sounds like you needed that day out Vivian. It sounded well worth it.

Me and My Stitches said...

What a fun day! Glad you had such a great time with great friends. And, you did a great job shopping - love all of your goodies!

Jean said...

Sounds like a fun trip! It's always more fun to shop with friends. My retreat group is planning a May trip somewhere...not sure where yet!

Lori said...

It looks like wonderful purchases. It is fun to visit quilt stores with friends. I don't go much either.

AnnieO said...

Yummy additions to the CW closet--those look like great choices in books too. Wish I had a bunch of quilting friends to road trip with! Luckily I now have one since my sister came back to CA. Enjoy all your new stuff!

Karen said...

So glad you had fun. Your CW additions are wonderful.

Dawn said...

What fun trip! I'm buying Carol's second book too. Loved the first. Enjoy the fabrics ;-)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

How blessed you are to have such good friends - and quilty friends to boot.

I just love those fabrics. I think I've purchased as much fabric in the last six months as I had in the past six years. :-o

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails