Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sashing does the trick

sampler quilt approximately 40 x 50 inches
Sampler quilts are usually not my favorites, especially if the blocks are made from assorted fabrics.  But sashing does a great job of tying those blocks together.   Several years ago our LQS offered a BOM project with 8" finished blocks, each one significant for the month it was offered--a red heart in February, an apple  blossom in May, a summer pinwheel in June, etc.  I made a few but then stopped.

Last month at our guild's garage sale, I bought a stack of those BOM kits, leftovers from the past.  I followed instructions for most, but with a few, I just used the fabric and created random blocks.   Twenty blocks later, with purple sashing and yellow cornerstones added, the little quilt is ready for quilting.  (click on photo for closeup)

"split whirling geese" block -- I think
Two blocks were my design after playing around with 8 HST and one square.  They're the first block in row 2 and the red/white/blue block in row 3.  The design looks familiar, but after doing a little research, all I can find is "whirling geese," and my geese are split.   So maybe this is a split whirling geese.  Is it original?  I doubt it.  

I came home from last week's guild meeting with a couple small quilt tops made by others.   Each was complete and ready to be finished with the top, backing, batting, and binding.  I offered to quilt and finish them, and they didn't take long.

Are you familiar with the 6 pieced blocks in this wildlife quilt?   They're called "broken arrow" blocks.  Focus on the dark in each block, not at the golden center.  Then you should be able to see 4 arrow halves, each pointing a different direction.
These were lottery blocks from the past, and the quilter combined them with some elk and moose.  Some gentleman in a nursing home will enjoy this one.    
bright and pretty share quilt -- 39 x 50"
broken arrow pieced blocks-- 35 x 47"

Moda's yellow grunge fabric  is a great choice for this quilt's border and binding.  There's a hint of pink here and there on the yellow.    Butterfly fabric is used for the backing, and this is bound to bring a smile to someone's face. 

8 comments:

Jean said...

You do such a good job of making something from what others didn't finish. Keep up the good work.

Raewyn said...

Gosh I (still) admire your output and also all that you do for others. So neat that you take rejects, or forgottens and give them life. You are an inspiration :-)

Julia said...

Great work Vivian.
You amaze me how you can make and finish so many lovely quilts for others.
You are so generous and inspirational.

Julia ♥

Janet O. said...

I am always in awe of your ability to produce quilts for others, whether from your own stash of UFOs, or from the cast-offs of others.
Good work, once again, my friend!

Lori L said...

I just love the "outdoor" quilt designed for a man. So often when we quilt for charity the quilts look more flowery and not masculine. I am hoping to use your idea for more mens charity quilts. I have never seen the broken arrow block. Thanks for sharing.

Lori said...

Great job using the blocks up! I know the quilts will be appreciated.

Brandie said...

That sashing did an amazing job of bringing everything together!

AnnieO said...

That's a lot of Math but not too much of the same thing to look at--wide variety in your quilting week! Excellent use of rejects and leftovers :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails