Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Itty Bitty Baskets--and some sharing

Two of my paper pieced baskets;  finish 2 inches square
My UFO list is mostly large quilt projects, but I worked a bit on a small-scale project from the list this weekend when I was out of town.  It's a pattern I've had for many years.  "Itty Bitty Baskets" is the pattern name, from MH Designs.  The pattern is well-named, as the finished baskets are 2 inches square.  They're paper pieced, and I think they were one of the first paper pieced projects I ever attempted.  I set them aside and forgot about them till I added them to my UFO list.   The precision of paper piecing makes them fun to work on.  I'll be making a dozen.

Squares added to garage sale find; now 36" x 48"
A few finishes and some progress on assorted projects in the last week or so.   I've been quilting and finishing some share quilt tops made by other guild members, so some of the finishes are group efforts.  Most are simple and quick.  No detailed work or intricacy, but they'll be warm and comforting when they're shared.  I made one quick top myself--one of the easy 5-yard patterns.

My favorite project lately (and most colorful) was this gold star/red/green 36" top I bought at our guild's garage sale.  It was meant to be a Christmas quilt, but I tried to change the look in another direction.  I added rows of 3-inch squares (trying to suggest greens of spring) at the top and the bottom, and it's now nursing-home lap quilt size.  It'll be fun to quilt with one of my variegated threads. 
(double click any photos for closeup view)
70" x 90" share quilt for a guy (love the "fowl" backing)


I enjoy times when I'm jumping from one project to another, as I've done these past couple weeks.  Not a lot to write about, but a lot accomplished. 


Another simple share quilt (70" x 90")

A simple share quilt I quilted; double click to see guild label

9 comments:

Shirley said...

Great way to use up little scraps with those baskets Vivian and I like the simplicity of the four patch quilt.

Janet O. said...

You know I love those baskets!
That is a very fun log cabin and stars quilt. I like the name "share" quilt. Sounds so much nicer than a charity quilt or donation quilt.
That is a very cute label. Is it sewn on before sandwiching and quilting?
Jumping from project to project keeps things from getting tedious, I think. I've been doing a lot of that this evening. I've sewn on three projects--all minis, of course. : )

Jean said...

The baskets are adorable! that will be a cute little quilt.
It's a good feeling to get things finished...can't beat it!

Dawn said...

Sweet little baskets. I have a vintage quilt with little 2" hand pieced baskets. Yours are darling.
Great use of scraps for projects too.

Me and My Stitches said...

Love your little baskets - they definitely needed to come out of hiding and get worked on! Love that star log cabin - you definitely worked your magic on it. Great share quilts - you do so much for others!

Kyle said...

Those are the sweetest "little" baskets. We'll all love to see what you create with them. Your shared quilts are such a generous gift of materials and time.

AnnieO said...

Those are tiny baskets! Nice to have a little batch to play with :)

I think you did a terrific job with the formerly Christmasy top. Now it looks like watermelon/summer.

Good works emerging from under your needle--you're making a lot of folks happy with your fabric and thread play!

audrey said...

Those baskets are very sweet--so little! Great to have progress, no matter what it is.:)

Rebecca said...

Love your little baskets!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails